So this is how January goes for me, every single year without fail. The first 2-4 weeks always include the following:
1. The post holiday funk. Including, but not limited to, simultaneously wanting to take my Christmas down AND leave it up forever. Once my Christmas finally is down I then simultaneously love the clean, clutter-free feeling of my home AND hate the bare, blah-ness of it all. Twinkle lights just make everything wonderful. Am I right?
2. A complete lack of motivation. To do anything. And I mean anything.
3. Blogger’s block. I never feel less creative and less inspired than I do the first few weeks of January. The string of holidays that begin in the fall provide a lot of inspiration for creativity and project ideas. So for 4 months I feel flooded with ideas and projects and recipes, etc. So many, in fact, that I rarely finish all the projects on my list. Then it all stops. And I’m on my own again, so to speak. With a lack of creativity comes a lack of blog posts, as you may have noticed. In January, I question how much longer I can keep blogging. Ya know, since the creativity well has obviously dried up. And all blogging aside, I am a happier, healthier person when I’m creating. It’s good for my soul and helps me be a better version of myself.
4. Suddenly I want to change EVERYTHING in my home. Everything. I want to paint new colors. I want to change my style. I want new furniture. I mentally start making over every single room.
5. Once the holidays are entirely out of my system (at least I think that’s what it is)and I remember that life is still fantastic even without twinkle lights and Christmas music, I snap out of it. I snap out of my funk, I feel highly motivated to get going on the new year and, best of all, my creativity well slowly fills to almost over-flowing. And January usually is when I start on a major makeover project (our new dining room last year) or re-define my decorating style.
And there we have it. Every December I swear that this January will be different, but they never are. It’s inevitable. Once I get to step five though, good things come from it. No big makeover project, but I am changing up my decorating style a bit. I’ve been obsessing with industrial style and am incorporating it more into my decor. For starters, I made this ampersand marquee light. I LOVE it and it’s just the shot in the arm my creativity needed!